Introduction to Polaris Supernova Pools
Polaris allows anyone to distribute their tokens through DIY staking pools called Supernovas.
Supernovas function similarly to most staking contracts:
- Deposit STAKING TOKEN or LP to earn REWARD token over DURATION
The Supernova reward distribution mechanism is slightly different than most staking contracts that emit rewards per block.
Instead, rewards are distributed to users by their total "share seconds" which is calculated by
- Total staked amount
- Total time staked
- POLAR used during harvest
We believe this token distribution method is a superior model to traditional block-based emission models for the following reasons:
- 1.Factoring in total stake time encourages longer-term staking and liquidity provision from users instead of "farm and dump" behavior. It also allows smaller players to compete with bigger ones for pool share simply by staking longer.
- 2.Allowing POLAR to be spent during harvests gamifies the yield farming experience, again allowing for smaller players to compete with larger ones by spending POLAR during unstaking and receiving an instant boost on harvested rewards. It also creates real utility for the POLAR token
- 3.Many staking contracts (like the infamous "Masterchef" contract) do not integrate with special tokens that are deflationary or involve rebases (including "RFI" forks). By default Polaris Supernovas allow for these types of tokens to be emitted as reward tokens, and in some cases, as single staking tokens as well.
Supernovas are a yield farm but with additional features:
- 1.Reward multipliers for longer liquidity deposits
- 2.Reward multipliers by spending Polar tokens
- 3.Competitive farming to optimise rewards
In the following sections, we'll dive deeper into the technical aspects of these features.